Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Friends are like the backyard garden....

So here I am , in the world of blogging, something I have consciously tried to escape specially with everyone around knee deep into it. Amongst my impeccable laziness and all other variety of reasons, there was a feeling that people who blog don’t have enough people around to share their thoughts/ideas (To all bloggers- no offence meant). That notion itself was so un-appealing that I just couldn’t bring myself to express my views in public forum especially when have had friends to discuss our views till wee hours of the morning without arriving at a conclusion most times, and yet feeling so content.

Today I must admit that I feel a little alone. Of course each friend’s job in different cities or unusual work timings(most have crazy inhumane ones ) are the primary reasons for the distance yet it still brings to my mind something I had heard in one of my favourite series. It said “ Friends are like the backyard garden- you always want to tend to it; but always push it to the next weekend”

I never realized it but that is exactly what is happening. Has the love between best of friends disappeared? Have other priorities taken the front seat? What is it that keeps us away from them in a way that we never imagined we would? Well the answer I believe lies in us taking it all for granted, just like that back yard garden. We definitely love it yet keep postponing the act to tend to it. Sadly, that is what is happening around me too and I guess I am a part of it as well. We do it to our families and at times give an excuse that we didnt really get to select them. What reason can one give in the case of friends we so made ourselves?

We say that technology has brought the world so much closer but are we really using it to connect with friends. I mean times are such that Facebook has become the usual and at times even worse, the only way to know what’s going on in your best friend’s life. This seems to be the way ahead and god forbid if it does, I think it will soon turn into being the ONLY way to be in touch. I am really scared for that day, truly am but I want to find a way out. Of course need a practical answer. I mean can’t ask all of them to fly down but I guess in an age of GWave and all other tools, we could find a way to be a little more personal.

I am sure a lot of us have felt this void especially after leaving studies and going to work, but I see this around a little more than what could be called comfortable. I hope that we are really able to get out of our busy schedules to remember that there are people that we must tend to, and show it, not just feel, like we are doing right now. To all the friends of friends – tend to your loved ones sooner than later because you never know when it will be too late and then they would just turn into memories-too distant to re-live.


5 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging bro!

    Somebody had told me a theory while I was in IITB. He said that given any phase of your life, you can be close friends with a maximum of three people. While the number is debatable, clearly the concept is not.

    Being in different cities, you tend to have more and more of those 3 people (or 'n' people) in the same city. And gradually the once elsewhere become your backyard garden.

    The bright side however is that no matter how late you decide to pick up the tools and start tending to the garden, it becomes as beautiful as ever in a matter of hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gr8 blog dude. it is actually sad that we are getting updates through websites, by reading the one line status messages.
    But if you meet friends again after a long time, you never feel that you are meeting after so long, it again seems like only yesterday when we first met.
    And wherever you go, new friends are always there.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to bloggerworld. It's actually not much different than any other medium. People write, people comment, people link each other, people collaborate etc etc...

    To me writing on blog helped in a way... to structure my own thoughts and views, to read more before writing.

    And yes, if not a flight, everyone is just a phone call away to be tended this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very thoughtful post buddy!you reminded me of the same feeling which has been looming in my mind almost all the time.

    It's really such an irony that today the integration of technologies has brought the world so closer that we are on the verge of losing the 'Human touch'.

    The Backyard Garden Quote gave me the exact word to my unnamed thoughts and again reminded me the urgency to tend to my closed ones which i had been ignoring time and again.


    Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nicely put thoughts..
    n nw tht u hv strtd writing, dnt stop
    Priyam :)

    ReplyDelete